It is common for people to want to feel and look good. This is why there are treatments being administered and products being applied in an effort to beautify people’s faces and refresh people’s bodies. All of these are possible with highly professional and caring beauty therapists, whose primary task is to bring the best out of people’s physical appearance and rejuvenate their well-being. Indeed, they work closely with clients by providing excellent services that would help improve the latter’s appearance and ensure that they are of optimal disposition in terms of health.
As a profession, beauty therapy is a vast one. Apart from the typical beauty salons where they are most commonly found, beauty therapists are also found in health spas, in hotels, on board cruise ships, backstage at theater productions, or behind the camera at film sets or photo shoots. They can work full-time as in-house professionals or engage in part-time work catering to various clients. In fact, they can start up their own businesses and be able to establish themselves as an authority in the realm of beauty.
Obviously, in order for one to be called a full-fledged beauty therapist, he or she must first have obtained a set of skills that necessary to enter the beauty industry. In order for this to happen, an individual must be able to study beauty therapy courses. Indeed, there are several venues in which these courses can be taken: (1) at a licensed and accredited educational institution that have beauty courses in its curriculum, (2) an accredited school that specializes only in beauty-related courses, or (3) through online means, providing an aspiring beauty therapist the choice to study at his or her own pace.
Beauty schools, online or otherwise, generally provide a wide range of beauty therapy courses. These are categorized into four: (1) short courses, (2) certificate courses, (3) advanced courses, and (4) diploma courses.
- Short courses are usually condensed, covering a specific kind of beauty therapy concept and is taken over a short period of time. Think of it as like a crash course.
- Certificate courses are often taken within a year or two and culminate in a certification exam. Passing the tests will result in the individual receiving a certificate that would give him or her opportunity to land a job at an entry-level.
- Advanced and diploma courses are much lengthier in duration than certificate and short courses. They don’t just cover the basic concepts, but the scope of the courses is rather comprehensive. In diploma courses, for instance, an individual may learn not just the necessary hands-on skills, but also certain technical and managerial skills such as salon management.
Meanwhile, here are the typical beauty therapy courses that are available under the four categories:
- Make-up courses. An individual may focus in a course that would teach him or her skills necessary in correctly apply make-up and knowing how to do so depending on the occasion. Making this a specialization exposes the individual to various opportunities and environments; upon completion of these courses, they may apply make-up for stage actors, movie and television actors, models in fashion shows or photo shoots, or for brides before weddings.
- Massage therapy courses. An individual may learn the basic and advanced concepts and techniques for pampering clients through these courses. Making this a specialization exposes the individual to numerous massage techniques and job opportunities upon completion of the courses.
- Face and skin care courses. An individual may learn how to treat clients with their face and skin problems through these courses. For the most part, skills that can be obtained from these courses are enough for the learner to have the opportunity to work at health spas and salons, as well as in face and skin care clinics.
Other courses include nail care, hair removal, and salon management. Indeed, it is definitely up to the aspirant to choose which category to go for and which specialization suits him or her best. The more advanced the beauty therapy course, the better it is for him or her to acquire better knowledge of the subject matter.